Discuss: Tesla Launches FSD V14.1.2; Brings Back Mad Max Mode

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
3,476
408
83
Tesla's FSD V14.1.2 reintroduces the fan-fav: Mad Max Mode, creating a new five-level system of driving profiles from Sloth to the most aggressive setting yet.… Read More
 

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,096
826
113
I think 'Mad Max' mode is counter to the mission of safe autonomous driving.
The name is just baiting haters into using it already.
Going 20 over a posted limit in any circumstance is not safe.
Smooth is fast, I'm all for smooth. 20 over is dangerous and just asking for trouble. I don't care if every other car is going 20 over, the answer isn't to join the lemmings.
This is a bad look for Tesla at a critical time when we don't need it. Any statistic Tesla puts forth showing that SFSD is safer than most other drivers is undercut and negated by the term 'Mad Max Mode' .
 
  • Like
Reactions: RNHurt and Procal

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,096
826
113
Okay, MM mode is really shining in this video in Manhattan. There isn’t room to go 20 over! AND I think this shows my ‘smooth is fast’ mentality. These guys are good at FF through the uneventful / unremarkable parts and giving context. It’s a LONG video but I gotta say worth watching.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RNHurt

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,096
826
113
Side note- There area quite a few Tesla cars and even a CT in the city. Also some Mach Es. I was looking for the Fisker cabs :) . Just saw two CTs in the time it took me to type this out!
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
769
758
93
Okay, MM mode is really shining in this video in Manhattan. There isn’t room to go 20 over! AND I think this shows my ‘smooth is fast’ mentality. These guys are good at FF through the uneventful / unremarkable parts and giving context. It’s a LONG video but I gotta say worth watching.
From the all the videos I've seen of Mad Max being used, it honestly seems great. Especially for heavy traffic, where you are speed limited either way. The one suggestion I've heard someone make in one of the videos is that they wish Tesla would split driving behavior from the speed. In other words, they want Tesla to make it to where you can choose a speed profile (how fast or slow the car goes), and a driving profile (how the car behaves in traffic, does lane changes, etc.). I think this is a fantastic idea, and don't get why Tesla wouldn't want to make that as the default option. I personally would not mind the mad max behavior for traffic, if I could keep it in a chill mode like speed setting.