Discuss: Tesla Announces FSD Purchase Option Will Go Away Next Month — Here’s Why

Karoshi

Member
Sep 3, 2023
23
27
13
So why Feb 14th, my guess is that its a velentines gift to FSD purchasers giving them lifetime FSD on any new tesla and/or HW4 replacement on HW3

but who knows, but they have to do something for the people that paid for it, so I am guessing its that
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Procal

joe_apxc

Well-known member
Feb 20, 2024
276
252
63
That announcement makes me glad that full purchased FSD is already on my car - so Tesla has to do something about my HW3 Vehicle :3 Its now about 5 years old, it is time that it gets some FSD love finally :D First step, allow FSD in Europe (hopefully for HW3 too), second step, upgrade my Hardware to full capabilities please - if all that ever happens, they fullfilled every promise
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
769
758
93
This was to be expected. It simply doesn't make sense from both a consumer and business perspective. I'm still strongly of the mentality that the hardware should be standardized in some form, at least from the compute form factor side at minimum.

That said, I really don't think they will start charging people for Autopilot like features. Most of those features are standard on a lot of cars nowadays, so unless Tesla is planning on offering more features on Autopilot that aren't common on most cars, it really would not make sense.

The part about them offering different tiers of FSD does make sense, for example, supervised FSD vs. unsupervised FSD. I really don't see them offering more options outside of that, but maybe they plan on bringing back something like Enhanced Autopilot? Basically a stripped down FSD version that works on highway only.

Furthermore, if other brands/automakers start offering autonomous vehicle options, I wonder how that will affect pricing going forward. I imagine that they don't plan on increasing the price of supervised FSD, or at least I hope they don't. I personally would no longer subscribe to FSD supervised if the price increased from its current pricing.

If they introduce unsupervised FSD at a different price, then what would that look like? One would hope that if it is for personal use, the pricing would be less expensive, maybe in the ballpark of $150? Or maybe they plan on reducing the price of supervised FSD and placing unsupervised FSD in the current price of $100?

It really is a toss up at this point. But whatever the case, I really hope they do actually separate private personal use vs. commercial use like Uber, Lyft, etc. I just don't know how they would be able to verify and validate in which way it is being used.


Edit: I can already see the videos and comments on different social media sites... "You will own nothing and be happy" is the sentiment.
 
Last edited:

TESLASUPERFAN

Active member
Aug 27, 2024
824
96
28
Canada/USA
www.youtube.com
I see UFSD as a standard feature in all cars for free in the future as it should be.

People shouldn’t have to pay an extra fee to be a passenger on autonomous vehicles: bus, plane, train, car.

Price wars will be advertising for their brand but when the next big tech arrives (flying vehicles) I’m sure FSD fees will appear to vanish. Subscriptions tend to get out of hand and people will always seek the cheapest option.