Discuss: Tesla Advances with 5G: A Future of Enhanced Connectivity for Cars and Robotics

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
Reactions: RNHurt

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
Interesting. Tesla is going all in on creating a completely vertical market for automation and vehicles. I'm not sure any other car company (certainly not the incumbents) would ever dream of building out a cellular network to keep information flowing between their vehicles. I'm not positive it will work but, man, you have to give them credit for trying!

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
Interesting. Tesla is going all in on creating a completely vertical market for automation and vehicles. I'm not sure any other car company (certainly not the incumbents) would ever dream of building out a cellular network to keep information flowing between their vehicles. I'm not positive it will work but, man, you have to give them credit for trying!
One of the things that kind of 'bothers me' about the cars is the reliance on AT&T for 4G. Seems like a decent chunk of the car's functionality is reliant on cell signals and THAT would be a good part of the 'whole' Tesla car experience to control. I hadn't thought of the robots in the same way but that's a good point.
That said, Tesla does want the cars (and prolly the robot) to be able to be completely functional with no signal at all.

Reactions: RNHurt

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
My understanding is that a focus of 5G is actually IoT (Internet of Things), which is exactly the use-case for cars and robots. One of the main features of 5G is the ability to create local networks; think of a factory floor or a corporate campus. 5G is much higher bandwidth, lower latency, and is more manageable than WiFi.

Reactions: PrescottAZRichard