Discuss: New AI Breakthrough May Bring Full FSD V14 to Tesla’s HW3 Vehicles

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
3,476
408
83
NVIDIA recently figured out how to shrink AI memory usage by 20x without altering model weights. Tesla could use similar tech to fit FSD v14 onto HW3.… Read More
 
  • Like
Reactions: RNHurt

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
768
758
93
I saw the headlines recently about this, especially due to it possibly affecting the PC RAM price crisis. Needless to say, I think this is a good thing for the field overall, but I also think it won't really have an affect on FSD, at least not for a long while. The main thing that makes me believe that is that not only is memory a limiting factor, but so is the compute speed. With FSD needing to be as close to real-time as possible, I just don't think HW3 is up to the task. I'm hoping to be proven wrong, but I just don't see Tesla implementing something like this, especially with their hard focus on the Robotaxi network, which is all running HW4 or newer.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RNHurt and joe_apxc

joe_apxc

Well-known member
Feb 20, 2024
276
252
63
Sounds a bit too optimistic. But time will tell how much this will help keeping HW3 Vehicles alive with FSD, i will not put much hope on Tesla putting so much energy in developing this approach just for legacy vehicles to stay alive. It's probably not worth the cost for Tesla, can understand that, although it was promised FSD would run on HW3 so i would still appreciate any improvements :D
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
768
758
93
Sounds a bit too optimistic. But time will tell how much this will help keeping HW3 Vehicles alive with FSD, i will not put much hope on Tesla putting so much energy in developing this approach just for legacy vehicles to stay alive. It's probably not worth the cost for Tesla, can understand that, although it was promised FSD would run on HW3 so i would still appreciate any improvements :D
I agree, and the only thing that gives some hope to HW3 owners is that it would probably cost Tesla less to develop this workaround in software than to physically upgrade the hardware on over 500,000 legacy vehicles that purchased FSD outright. I guess time will tell, but if I were a HW3 owner, I definitely would not be holding my breath.
 
  • Like
Reactions: joe_apxc and RNHurt