Discuss: Elon Announces FSD Beta V11.3 Will Be Released Soon

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
Cccool.

I like how the wording of that post is pretty much ‘This is what he is saying, it is not a promise and has been said before!’ Also the warning about how roll outs generally go with a trickle to employees first vs a dump.

I find it strange that this current 69.25.1 version is still being reported at 54% of the distribution since it came out a few weeks ago (2?).
Oh well, the roller coaster ride is slowly climbing up the hill before the next drop.

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
Does this mean that the non FSD stack will be updated as well to the new vision system? I'm getting tired of watching cars dance on my screen while I'm at a traffic light. :rolleyes:

Reactions: GargantulaKon

Legendary

Sep 15, 2022
Does this mean that the non FSD stack will be updated as well to the new vision system? I'm getting tired of watching cars dance on my screen while I'm at a traffic light. :rolleyes:
I would prefer seeing them fix these goddam auto wipers, with the days being so short I often drive at night, and I always need to set the speed MANUALLY.
It's a 2022 car and that's just unacceptable !

Reactions: GargantulaKon

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
I would prefer seeing them fix these goddam auto wipers, with the days being so short I often drive at night, and I always need to set the speed MANUALLY.
I've seen quite a bit of unhappiness over the auto-wiper situation. However, I've never had a problem with mine. They seem to work just fine and if they don't come on I just push the tip of the wiper stalk. I wonder if I'm doing something different than everyone else. Or maybe it just doesn't rain here like it does there. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

Hagg6

Oct 6, 2022
I really don't think that the team working on FSD is likely to have the expertise to improve wipers. It involves a very different type of data interpretation from what they are working on.

• Haha
Reactions: RNHurt

Hagg6

Oct 6, 2022
I wouldn't say that Navigate on Autopilot hasn't seen improvement over the past few years. Even the original Autopilot has seen improvement over the past few years. There's a difference between improvement and new features. AP1 hasn't gotten new features in a very long time.

But there are striking differences in behavior in some cases. For example, with AP1 which people think of as stagnant, it will now slow down preemptively if a car in an adjacent lane swerves toward the lane line but doesn't cross it, leaving it in a position where it could slow down more of cut off but will get back up to speed of it becomes clear that the adjacent car isn't changing lanes. The old way would have been to maintain speed, take evasive action if another car cut it off, and the other driver would have been at fault for lane encroachment in case of an accident.

Navigate on Autopilot was a lot like FSD at intersections when it came out. It wasn't making outright dangerous maneuvers but was acting like an unsure driver. It would start changing lanes and abort, or feint to a side and stay in a lane, or fail to move when it should have. It was far from smooth. Over the years it improved gradually to the point that it's like night and day compared to the original release. It's not a question of new features but of a series of tiny improvements that add up to a lot.

Legendary

Sep 15, 2022
I really don't think that the team working on FSD is likely to have the expertise to improve wipers. It involves a very different type of data interpretation from what they are working on.
It's probably not the FSD team working on it, but the issue has been going on for years so Tesla should really put some ressources into improving that, they managed to do it for the auto highbeams so they might be able to do it as well with the auto wipers.
And that's not even sure that the FSD team is not able to do it, why ? Cause both systems rely on camera, and they might need to be trained/fine tuned. Altough I'm not sure they use the same systems.
Maybe these cameras are just not able to detect rain efficiently at all during night time (that would be VERY infuriating in the first place), and the system is just bad overall, just like the rear camera getting blurry each time it rains.
I've been driving a lot during the night recently and the camera is just NOT keeping pace with the water on the windshield, and after a few seconds it gets to a point where I don't see anything and I need to activate the wipers manually.

Legendary

Sep 15, 2022
I've seen quite a bit of unhappiness over the auto-wiper situation. However, I've never had a problem with mine. They seem to work just fine and if they don't come on I just push the tip of the wiper stalk. I wonder if I'm doing something different than everyone else. Or maybe it just doesn't rain here like it does there. 🤷‍♂️
It seems to be these two situations : Driving at night or having droplets on the windshield.
I noticed that droplets are not easily detected, even during day time, and I can tell you that the glass in front of the cameras is spotless, I always check to make sure it's as immaculated as it could be.
And for the driving at night experience, well as I stated above it's just not keeping pace with the quantity of water on the windshield, the auto wipers go to speed 1 while manually I had to put it to speed 3 to drive correctly and to be able to see something.
This could be an issue in the future, cause if the wipers don't work correctly, how is the car meant to see something at night while using the FSD ?

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
OMG! The rear view camera getting dirty is the bane of my existence. I can't see out of the back of my MY in the first place so that camera is doubly important. I've been thinking about trying to 3d print a hood or something for it. 😆

Legendary

Sep 15, 2022
OMG! The rear view camera getting dirty is the bane of my existence. I can't see out of the back of my MY in the first place so that camera is doubly important. I've been thinking about trying to 3d print a hood or something for it. 😆
My "old" Mercedes had a pop up camera. That was very practical, but it's just not possible for the Teslas because of the FSD.
Maybe there is some sort of coating that could help the wating going elsewhere. I'll check that .

Hagg6

Oct 6, 2022

Tesla is the only brand of car that I've had problems with the rear camera getting dirty, as well as having large water droplets cling to the camera, making it impossible to see out of it when backing up. It's a problem when in reverse at low speeds, but shouldn't affect the car's ability to use the camera for Autopilot. I don't see a software fix for this one.

Hagg6

Oct 6, 2022
It's probably not the FSD team working on it, but the issue has been going on for years so Tesla should really put some ressources into improving that, they managed to do it for the auto highbeams so they might be able to do it as well with the auto wipers.
And that's not even sure that the FSD team is not able to do it, why ? Cause both systems rely on camera, and they might need to be trained/fine tuned. Altough I'm not sure they use the same systems.
Maybe these cameras are just not able to detect rain efficiently at all during night time (that would be VERY infuriating in the first place), and the system is just bad overall, just like the rear camera getting blurry each time it rains.
I've been driving a lot during the night recently and the camera is just NOT keeping pace with the water on the windshield, and after a few seconds it gets to a point where I don't see anything and I need to activate the wipers manually.

It's a bit harder for me to say. The sensor on the earlier Model S worked well in the days before they used the camera. I found that the new one was a problem when it came out, but for me it was an issue at night on unlit roads with rain that produced smaller droplets. I think that part of the issue is that there's been so little rain in California until a few weeks ago, and it's been raining every day ever since. But I didn't use my Model 3 in that period and it works fine on my Model S. In most circumstances, I haven't had a problem with automated wipers on my Model 3 at all, and found that they worked better than on a 2018 BMW. So I don't see what the problem is, but that doesn't mean that there isn't one.

Legendary

Sep 15, 2022
It's a bit harder for me to say. The sensor on the earlier Model S worked well in the days before they used the camera. I found that the new one was a problem when it came out, but for me it was an issue at night on unlit roads with rain that produced smaller droplets. I think that part of the issue is that there's been so little rain in California until a few weeks ago, and it's been raining every day ever since. But I didn't use my Model 3 in that period and it works fine on my Model S. In most circumstances, I haven't had a problem with automated wipers on my Model 3 at all, and found that they worked better than on a 2018 BMW. So I don't see what the problem is, but that doesn't mean that there isn't one.
My area is known to have quite some rain. So driving at night with small droplet on the windshield happens quite often, hence the issues. I think there is a problem if the car cannot detect some type of rain on some situations, cause it would just mean a partial or even a total loss of visibility if no action is taken. Anf if you lose all visibility while being in the middle of a manoeuver where your two hanfs are busy, that could end very badly.

Hagg6

Oct 6, 2022
My area is known to have quite some rain. So driving at night with small droplet on the windshield happens quite often, hence the issues. I think there is a problem if the car cannot detect some type of rain on some situations, cause it would just mean a partial or even a total loss of visibility if no action is taken. Anf if you lose all visibility while being in the middle of a manoeuver where your two hanfs are busy, that could end very badly.
I've never had that happen, but I have had to tap the end of the stalk on occasion. It's not as bad as it was back in the days of intermittent wipers though.

Legendary

Sep 15, 2022
I've never had that happen, but I have had to tap the end of the stalk on occasion. It's not as bad as it was back in the days of intermittent wipers though.
Happened to me just last week.
Driving at night on small roads, it was raining. I was in the middle of a succession of turns and the road narrowed so I needed my two hands to take the turns smoothly. The rain got more intense at this moment and I had to use the button on the stalk to activate the wipers manually cause the auto wipers were too incompetent to keep up with the rain.
I tried to use the voice command to put the wipers to speed 3 but the french voice commands are so bad that it instead put them to speed 1... When I finally cleared the turns I managed to get the wipers to speed 3 by using the touchscreen.
Not really a good experience I would say.

Hagg6

Oct 6, 2022
Happened to me just last week.
Driving at night on small roads, it was raining. I was in the middle of a succession of turns and the road narrowed so I needed my two hands to take the turns smoothly. The rain got more intense at this moment and I had to use the button on the stalk to activate the wipers manually cause the auto wipers were too incompetent to keep up with the rain.
I tried to use the voice command to put the wipers to speed 3 but the french voice commands are so bad that it instead put them to speed 1... When I finally cleared the turns I managed to get the wipers to speed 3 by using the touchscreen.
Not really a good experience I would say.
I never tried the French voice commands, and don't think I've used French commands on any car. I honestly can't remember whether rental car companies switch the cars to English by default. I'm a bit surprised that in this day and age French would be a problem. I have no issues at all with Amazon's Alexa understanding French just fine, so I would have assumed that it worked well across the board with voice recognition.

Legendary

Sep 15, 2022
I never tried the French voice commands, and don't think I've used French commands on any car. I honestly can't remember whether rental car companies switch the cars to English by default. I'm a bit surprised that in this day and age French would be a problem. I have no issues at all with Amazon's Alexa understanding French just fine, so I would have assumed that it worked well across the board with voice recognition.
Well, it's the first time I used the voice commands in a car, when in my old cars there were knobs and switches everywhere I didn't feet the need to use my voice. But now that some functions are under menus and submenus on a touchscreen I sometimes prefer using the voice commands.
To give you an example, as you seem to speak french, I tried to fold the mirrors just to try so I said "fold the mirrors" (replier les rétroviseurs) and it worked, so I said unfold the mirrors (déplier les rétroviseurs) and it didn't worked, I remember that I tried using several similar words ro no avail. So I had to go to the menus to unfold them manually.
With wipers when I give the command "wipers at speed 2" (essuie-glaces vitesse 2) they instead increase the speed by 1 so if it was on auto it's now on speed 1.
And I can go on and on and on about that but you got the point by now. I don't know how it is in English but on French ist's quite bad.

Last edited:

Hagg6

Oct 6, 2022
Well, it's the first time I used the voice commands in a car, when in my old cars there were knobs and switches everywhere I didn't feet the need to use my voice. But now that some functions are under menus and submebus on a touchscreen I sometimes prefer using the voice commands.
To give you an example, as you seem to speak french, I tried to fold the mirrors just to try sl I said "fold the mirrors" (replier les rétroviseurs) and it workee, so I said unfold the mirrors (déplier les rétroviseurs) and it didn't worked, I remember that I tried using several similar words ro no avail. So I had to go to the menus to unfold them manually.
With wipers when I give the command "wipers at speed 2" (essuie-glaces vitesse 2) they instead increase the speed by 1 so if it was on auto it's now on speed 1.
And I can go on and on and on about that but you got the point by now. I don't know how it is in English but on French ist's quite bad.

In English, it's very flexible. But it's not so good when the speaker has certain foreign accents.

Legendary

Sep 15, 2022
In English, it's very flexible. But it's not so good when the speaker has certain foreign accents.
Yup
I wanted to put it in English, but the shy and self consious myself didn't want to get laughed at for his english accent by other people (yeah French people are like that, very judgmental).