Discuss: Cybercab Debuts Tesla's New One-Button Door Releases

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
3,476
408
83
Recent production units have revealed a redesigned door handle system that solves one of the most persistent safety criticisms of Tesla’s current vehicle line… Read More
 

TESLASUPERFAN

Active member
Aug 27, 2024
823
96
28
Canada/USA
www.youtube.com
If u look at Cadillac EV’s I think they do a version of their resessd handle.

Not sure I even comprehend how we as a society can solve a Rubik’s cube in under 3 seconds but a door handle stumps you people. First responders like firemen chop down doors on every call but a Tesla door handle is where they’re stumped.
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
768
758
93
I'm more interested in seeing new exterior handles. How would a first responder open it from the outside?
I want to know if this is something that is going to require a recall once the NHTSA investigation is complete. But I suppose we will have to wait for that to come to an end to find out.
 
  • Like
Reactions: joe_apxc

joe_apxc

Well-known member
Feb 20, 2024
276
252
63
I want to know if this is something that is going to require a recall once the NHTSA investigation is complete. But I suppose we will have to wait for that to come to an end to find out.
I would appreciate a recall. I can not even retrofit manual emergency release handles for my legacy M3, it only has them in the front doors. Back seat passengers are currently just trapped on power outage :(
 
  • Like
Reactions: Procal

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
768
758
93
I would appreciate a recall. I can not even retrofit manual emergency release handles for my legacy M3, it only has them in the front doors. Back seat passengers are currently just trapped on power outage :(
I could have sworn that the legacy Model 3 had them inside the speaker compartment in the rear doors, but maybe I'm thinking of a different model? Either way, I think a recall would be in order, at least for better markings and easier-to-find locations.
 
  • Like
Reactions: joe_apxc

joe_apxc

Well-known member
Feb 20, 2024
276
252
63
I could have sworn that the legacy Model 3 had them inside the speaker compartment in the rear doors, but maybe I'm thinking of a different model? Either way, I think a recall would be in order, at least for better markings and easier-to-find locations.
Yeah they are behind the interior door cover, but try to unmount that in an emergency situation, and also, your passengers, which maybe do not ride in a Tesla too often, forget where this manual release is located the second after i tell them XD
 
  • Like
Reactions: Procal

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
768
758
93
Yeah they are behind the interior door cover, but try to unmount that in an emergency situation, and also, your passengers, which maybe do not ride in a Tesla too often, forget where this manual release is located the second after i tell them XD
Yeah, I'm definitely not saying it's a good design; I'm just saying a recall for easier access and a marked "THIS IS AN EMERGENCY RELEASE" in big red letters would go a long way over the current design. Even in my newer 2024 Model 3, there is only a small flap that you can lift up, and under it there is a yellow pull cord. That is slightly better, but again, in an emergency it is far from ideal, especially because the "flap" is the same color, material, and texture as the rest of the door pocket, which essentially camouflages it completely. There isn't so much as a marking to indicate that it's there.
 
  • Like
Reactions: joe_apxc

joe_apxc

Well-known member
Feb 20, 2024
276
252
63
Yeah, I'm definitely not saying it's a good design; I'm just saying a recall for easier access and a marked "THIS IS AN EMERGENCY RELEASE" in big red letters would go a long way over the current design. Even in my newer 2024 Model 3, there is only a small flap that you can lift up, and under it there is a yellow pull cord. That is slightly better, but again, in an emergency it is far from ideal, especially because the "flap" is the same color, material, and texture as the rest of the door pocket, which essentially camouflages it completely. There isn't so much as a marking to indicate that it's there.
I would definetly be happy about big markings, but for me it also needs to be accessible without unmounting something beforehand. I am currently searching for a third party retrofit to extend the emergency pull cord to be accessible from the outside i'll keep you guys updated here if i find something (for those who still rock their legacy M3)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Procal

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
768
758
93
I would definetly be happy about big markings, but for me it also needs to be accessible without unmounting something beforehand. I am currently searching for a third party retrofit to extend the emergency pull cord to be accessible from the outside i'll keep you guys updated here if i find something (for those who still rock their legacy M3)
I don’t know if you have access to a 3D printer, but I’ve seen some Tesla owners 3D printer hooks and covers for their emergency release. Still not and ideal solution since it’s just plastic, but it’s better than nothing.
 

joe_apxc

Well-known member
Feb 20, 2024
276
252
63
I don’t know if you have access to a 3D printer, but I’ve seen some Tesla owners 3D printer hooks and covers for their emergency release. Still not and ideal solution since it’s just plastic, but it’s better than nothing.

No i don't own a 3D Printer, but a friend of mine does have one. Could ask him to print it for me maybe, i'll have a look. Thanks!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Procal

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
768
758
93
  • Like
Reactions: joe_apxc