Android phone refuses to be recognized as a key

dmellstrom

Mar 21, 2023
Lately my wife has not been able to have our Y recognize her Samsung phone as a key. Has any others have had this problem. We've tried numerous times without success. She is able to unlock her car using the app but once she's in, she can't start it without the keycard. She is able to use BT audio no problem. We set up the phone according to Tesla's advice but nothing works. Appreciate any advice.

Reactions: Not a Tesla App

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
Lately my wife has not been able to have our Y recognize her Samsung phone as a key. Has any others have had this problem. We've tried numerous times without success. She is able to unlock her car using the app but once she's in, she can't start it without the keycard. She is able to use BT audio no problem. We set up the phone according to Tesla's advice but nothing works. Appreciate any advice.
Does her phone show up in the vehicle under Keys? You say she can unlock the car using the app, but is she able to unlock the vehicle without opening the Tesla app?

dmellstrom

Mar 21, 2023
Does her phone show up in the vehicle under Keys? You say she can unlock the car using the app, but is she able to unlock the vehicle without opening the Tesla app?
It does. This morning I attempted to gain access to her car with her phone in my hand. The door would not unlock until the Tesla app was active. I got in and saw that her phone was on the list of keys.

Ok, so we solved one problem. The phone app needs to be on. I've used a different Samsun phone and had no problems but for some reason I believe her phone deactivates the app after a period of time. Now I use an iPhone 13 and when I attempt to close all apps, the Tesla warns that it should stay open. No such warning with my wife's zFold3. How does one keep the Tesla app active in the background?