2020 MX - My back wheels seem to be out of "sync" with the front wheels.

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
I'm not sure if this is a problem with MX cars or just AWD Tesla's in general, but my back wheels seem to be out of sync with the front wheels. It's super hard to explain, but during low speed maneuvers (stop signs, parking, stop and go traffic, etc.) the back wheels seem to "settle" when stopping. Some times the effect is so strong that I think that another car might have lightly touched my rear bumper. If fact, one time my wife (who generally doesn't know anything about cars) noticed it and said something like "did we just get hit?"

Again, I'm not sure I'm explaining this correctly. It's not a problem all the time and I can't seem to make it happen on command. I would like to make a service appointment to have it looked at but I don't have a good story to tell about it yet. So, I'm asking here if anyone else has noticed a problem with the front and rear wheels seeming to fight a a bit while stopping. If so, that will let me know that I'm not crazy and I might be able to get Tesla to correct the problem.

A bit of background. I'm a car guy. My dad was a mechanic and I've assembled multiple cars almost from scratch. I drove an A4 Quattro for 20 years so I'm familiar with AWD systems. My previous car was a AWS MY and it didn't have this "problem" at all. This is my first MX (2020) so maybe it's just a thing with the MX models. 🤷‍♂️

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
I haven't seen this kind of thing asked but I don't have an X, I just see what people post on the AZ facebook page. I'd search the TMC X forum, not sure exactly the best search terms to use though. Hope it's you and not the car :) .

Reactions: RNHurt

Roadrunner

Aug 19, 2023
I'm not sure if this is a problem with MX cars or just AWD Tesla's in general, but my back wheels seem to be out of sync with the front wheels. It's super hard to explain, but during low speed maneuvers (stop signs, parking, stop and go traffic, etc.) the back wheels seem to "settle" when stopping. Some times the effect is so strong that I think that another car might have lightly touched my rear bumper. If fact, one time my wife (who generally doesn't know anything about cars) noticed it and said something like "did we just get hit?"

Again, I'm not sure I'm explaining this correctly. It's not a problem all the time and I can't seem to make it happen on command. I would like to make a service appointment to have it looked at but I don't have a good story to tell about it yet. So, I'm asking here if anyone else has noticed a problem with the front and rear wheels seeming to fight a a bit while stopping. If so, that will let me know that I'm not crazy and I might be able to get Tesla to correct the problem.

A bit of background. I'm a car guy. My dad was a mechanic and I've assembled multiple cars almost from scratch. I drove an A4 Quattro for 20 years so I'm familiar with AWD systems. My previous car was a AWS MY and it didn't have this "problem" at all. This is my first MX (2020) so maybe it's just a thing with the MX models. 🤷‍♂️
I think you should try setting it to "roll" instead of "hold" I'm almost sure the experience will be different. (Controls > Pedals & Steering > Stop Mode)

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
I think you should try setting it to "roll" instead of "hold" I'm almost sure the experience will be different. (Controls > Pedals & Steering > Stop Mode)
That's a good suggestion but I'm not sure the stop mode is the problem. My previous Tesla (2020 MY) was set to "hold" and didn't exhibit this behavior and I've driven other Tesla's with the same settings and didn't experience this phenomenon.

Like I said, I'm probably not explaining it very well.

Roadrunner

Aug 19, 2023
That's a good suggestion but I'm not sure the stop mode is the problem. My previous Tesla (2020 MY) was set to "hold" and didn't exhibit this behavior and I've driven other Tesla's with the same settings and didn't experience this phenomenon.

Like I said, I'm probably not explaining it very well.
Give it a try, mine act as you describe in "hold" , i think ;)