V12 FSD riding on Right line

imacgyver

Feb 10, 2023
Bermuda Dunes, CA
I totally agree that version 12.3.6 can’t drive between the lines. On our monthly trip thru the steep mountains the car can’t help but driving over the double yellow lines and reflectors on the left side, followed by putting the right side tires over the white line on the right side of the road a on the next curve. That is extremely dangerous for us and the other drivers on the steep mountain road. Oddly enough, on the last 2 version 11 updates we could drive flawlessly 60 miles to our destination and back without any take-overs except to manually drive into the destination driveway, and our home driveway!

imacgyver

Feb 10, 2023
Bermuda Dunes, CA
Yes. Absolutely, to the point where I take over when going up twisty mountain roads. That, coupled with the indecisive lane changes make this otherwise wonderful build very annoying.
Let’s hope that versions 12.4… and 12.5… are able to recognize lane lines, and stay between them at All times. We’re missing great FSD trips in the mountains!

Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

lholz

Apr 14, 2024
Yes! The first time I drove after V12, it was so bad I thought I would not be able to use FSD at all any more because of it. Since then it doesn't do it all the time, but many times I have to take it out of FSD and leave a message. Yesterday, it was riding the right line again so I took it out of FSD by raising the stalk up (I did not change lane position) and it beeped at me to take over immediately because of a lane departure warning! Seems like it's ok for the car to drive over there, but not me. It's bad enough when I'm in the right lane and it rides the line, but it is even more dangerous when I'm in the left hand lane and it rides the right hand line - it puts me way too close to the other lane of traffic. I keep hoping it will be fixed in the next update, but so far it has not changed. I'm on v12.3.6 now.

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
Yes! The first time I drove after V12, it was so bad I thought I would not be able to use FSD at all any more because of it. Since then it doesn't do it all the time, but many times I have to take it out of FSD and leave a message. Yesterday, it was riding the right line again so I took it out of FSD by raising the stalk up (I did not change lane position) and it beeped at me to take over immediately because of a lane departure warning! Seems like it's ok for the car to drive over there, but not me. It's bad enough when I'm in the right lane and it rides the line, but it is even more dangerous when I'm in the left hand lane and it rides the right hand line - it puts me way too close to the other lane of traffic. I keep hoping it will be fixed in the next update, but so far it has not changed. I'm on v12.3.6 now.
Ha! Yeah, it is more human like in that - I can drive like that, You shouldn't! Going up really twisty mountain roads I couldn't use FSD were there a passenger in the car because of this. For most other driving it's just mildly disturbing. The unsure lane changes REALLY annoy me for some unknown reason. You'd think I would realize it is what it is, and it won't get better until I get a new build. Maybe.

imacgyver

Feb 10, 2023
Bermuda Dunes, CA
It’s funny how some cars on 12.3.6 seem to favor driving too far to the right, other cars too far to the left. That didn’t happen before the Neural Network came along.
In the mountains my car alternates between running over left lines and right lines. In the 2 or 3 years I have been using FSD I’ve never seen anyone on You Tube testing FSD in the steep mountains, and I watch current You Tube Tesla videos daily. All the bad behaviors in FSD seem to be worse and more critical in the mountains, but few seem to know about it.

acmem

Mar 27, 2024
It’s funny how some cars on 12.3.6 seem to favor driving too far to the right, other cars too far to the left. That didn’t happen before the Neural Network came along.
In the mountains my car alternates between running over left lines and right lines. In the 2 or 3 years I have been using FSD I’ve never seen anyone on You Tube testing FSD in the steep mountains, and I watch current You Tube Tesla videos daily. All the bad behaviors in FSD seem to be worse and more critical in the mountains, but few seem to know about it.
I can’t speak for mountain driving because where I live it is flat, but lately, it has changed from hugging the right line to hugging the left line. Very dangerous and have had to disconnect for almost hitting the center island curb that divides the avenues.

I would say as another poster said about should always be dead center in the lane. For most of the time yes, but when passing 18 wheelers and other humans hugging the lines, the car should slightly move over in the lane so as not to hit the car you are passing.

acmem

Mar 27, 2024
My annoyance with FSD has always been the manner in which it keeps distances between cars and the unnatural way it breaks and accelerates! Some times it breaks way too soon and other it breaks way too late causing hard breaking!

I have to always keep my foot slightly on the accelerator so as not to cause people from rear ending me or getting annoyed by leaving such a large gap, allowing everyone to pass me and fill the gap. Also, independent of driving mode, at times it changes lanes by squeezing in between cars, cutting them off aggressively!

moortime

Aug 14, 2023
Eastham Massachusetts
With all this feed back on Ver 12.
Do we know if or how it is sent to Tesla.
We see all the time the hate groups would just feed on accident do to running on the left or right lines. Just intrested in if our feed back gets back to Tesla.

phxazcraig

Apr 4, 2024
My MYP on 12.3.6 rides centered between lane lines. It will move to the left when passing a truck, then re-center. I have seen it drift over a yellow center line to get around a car pulled off toward the side of the road. Someone else in another forum had lane-centering issues until he recalibrated the cameras on his car.