Tesla Intel Atom vs Tesla AMD Ryzen(Benchmark)

CotingDad

Jun 23, 2023
Hey, I made a video comparing and benchmarking the Intel Atom vs AMD Ryzen.

Last edited:
Reactions: RNHurt

joe_apxc

Feb 20, 2024
Thanks for the comparison. I dont watch videos in my Tesla often or want to play any games in it (for that i have my gaming pc at home), so i think my Intel Atom is enough for me, plus it saves some battery power for range. I just hope it will be capable of getting the new UI and full screen driving visualizations in the future, i dont really care if its in a lower framerate than on the ryzen. The controls, especially the media player ones, are much more convenient on the new visuals as far as i was able to see from screenshots.

Reactions: CotingDad

ALIEN SUPERSTAR

Oct 17, 2023
For a minute there I thought for sure I had Ryzen AMD and was excited for the new UI for the spring update… then i checked… then I cried LOL. I’m wondering if there will ever be a retro fit to upgrade?

joe_apxc

Feb 20, 2024
For a minute there I thought for sure I had Ryzen AMD and was excited for the new UI for the spring update… then i checked… then I cried LOL. I’m wondering if there will ever be a retro fit to upgrade?
As far as i was able to find out, there will be likely NO retrofit option for Intel Atom MCU to Ryzen MCU because of different voltage and/or cable sockets. For me its ok, at least we profit from a slightly better Power consumption, and maybe the update does come, but later in time.

CotingDad

Jun 23, 2023
Thanks for the comparison. I dont watch videos in my Tesla often or want to play any games in it (for that i have my gaming pc at home), so i think my Intel Atom is enough for me, plus it saves some battery power for range. I just hope it will be capable of getting the new UI and full screen driving visualizations in the future, i dont really care if its in a lower framerate than on the ryzen. The controls, especially the media player ones, are much more convenient on the new visuals as far as i was able to see from screenshots.
Thank you for watching! Oh yeah, I definitely agree, the Atom is more than enough for most everything. I really do think Tesla just needs a little more time to optimize the new UI for the Intel Atom.

CotingDad

Jun 23, 2023
haha. Sorry about that. Thank you for watching, though!
Unfortunately, I don't think a retrofit is coming.

CotingDad

Jun 23, 2023
As far as i was able to find out, there will be likely NO retrofit option for Intel Atom MCU to Ryzen MCU because of different voltage and/or cable sockets. For me its ok, at least we profit from a slightly better Power consumption, and maybe the update does come, but later in time.
Thank you for watching! I confident the new UI update will hit the Atom, just give it some time.

ALIEN SUPERSTAR

Oct 17, 2023
Got it Thanks for the info!

Reactions: CotingDad

mapchistoo

May 3, 2024

I don't see the issue here. They can increase the voltage with a converter / transformer. We master this technique since at least a century, lol. Same for cable / socket, it can be adapted. Last resort they can could switch to a more recent Intel Atom...
Think of this : they managed to switch from Tegra to Intel Atom on Model S/X.

It's not a technical limitation, it's just the voluntee to give up on "legacy" (2 years-old lol) models.

joe_apxc

Feb 20, 2024
I don't see the issue here. They can increase the voltage with a converter / transformer. We master this technique since at least a century, lol. Same for cable / socket, it can be adapted. Last resort they can could switch to a more recent Intel Atom...
Think of this : they managed to switch from Tegra to Intel Atom on Model S/X.

It's not a technical limitation, it's just the voluntee to give up on "legacy" (2 years-old lol) models.
What we cannot know is if this is too much effort, the cost for the customer would be high. Or maybe it also needs software adjustments when retrofitting. At this point it is likely to be too expensive, as software team has to maintain another whole "type" of vehicle software (Retrofit Ryzen Models).