Discuss: Tesla Lays Off Entire Supercharger Team as Musk Talks About the Future of Superchargers

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
This seems ... counter productive ... especially since everyone is moving to NACS and Tesla should be in a great position to profit from more Supercharger locations. What could possibly be the reason for slowing down Supercharger deployments?

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Italy
Perhaps relying on network effects, having already established the widest charging network globally? Other car makers have to provide for themselves, too, and, in general, this is an infrastructure discussion, which should see governments involved, energy providers, not (just) car manufacturers. Tesla needs to focus on building cars and solar solutions, perhaps now they see superchargers as an accomplished or at least superseded mission.

Reactions: RNHurt

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
However, my understanding was that Tesla was leveraging a charge on other automakers (or owners) to use Superchargers. This would be a revenue stream for Tesla, and one that both increases the satisfaction of their customers and promotes the Tesla brand. Seems like a win-win to me.

Perhaps you're right and Tesla is re-focusing on just making cars. 🤷‍♂️

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Italy
It depends on which perspective you apply. Superchargers are differentiators, so much like the concept of closed network for Apple with iPhones, you would keep them for yourself. But that would relegate you to a niche.

Tesla's mission is to accelerate the transition to renewable, sustainable sources or energy, not the entertainment of a bunch of zealots with adequate amounts of disposable income to burn on you, whatever you throw them at. You can't do it alone, you can't play the Apple game with such a mission. You need to team up and open the charging network.

We are approaching the mid of the gaussian adoption curve, where most of the frictions will come. The masses need reliable cars for day use, not fancy speed demons competing with Ferrari and Lamborghini on racetracks.

So they did a great work so far, but it's time for others to follow suit, hence getting rid of the exclusivity. Sure, there will be differentiated fees, perhaps some sort of quotas and reservations as time goes by, to keep their USP up, but the areas of key focus are clear.

Just hoping they don't invest so much time on further pet projects such as the CyberTruck, which seems more tailored for 1 out of 7 billion people's demographics (Elon), than something a company laying off staff like we saw a couple of times. Tesla Semi, for instance... where are they?

Last edited:
Reactions: RNHurt

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
@K.I.T.T. I agree with almost everything you said. I believe that a reliable charging network is crucial to the adoption of BEVs and Tesla, so far, has been the only player that could make that happen. If they lapse now and let others take up the mantle of providing the charging infrastructure, I'm afraid that BEV owners will be the worse for wear. It may even hamper the BEV movement completely.

Recently, the push for Hybrid vehicles has been enormous and that is driven, at least partially, by "range anxiety". Having fewer, less reliable charging solutions will only exacerbate the problem. I firmly believe that BEVs have only made the inroads that they have because of the Supercharger network. If that network falls by the wayside I fear that BEVs will suffer a similar fate.

That said, I agree that Tesla should not be the sole provider of charging infrastructure for ever and always. But I'm just not convinced that the other players can provide the level of service that Superchargers can. Here's hoping your right!

Reactions: K.I.T.T.